Friday, October 19, 2007

A Strange Thing Happened Today

I've been working at home providing installation support for Autodesk student products for 6 months. I have served about 300 clients. I have had a few send me e-mails to say thanks for the help I provided. Those client were ones that I had sent instructions to by e-mail on what to do.

Today, for the first time, one client called just to say thanks! I had sent him some instructions yesterday, and today he had an unexpected warning come up in the middle of the process. He called me to determine what to do. Workng from clues in the warning message and the instructions, I determine he could proceed with the process. The warning said he had restricted the permissions on a particular item to the Owner. According to the instructions, he would be granting Full Control to Everyone.

After I told him to go ahead and finish the process and that he might have to repeat the process to clear a bunch of error messages. But he had to go through the process only once to get his program installed.

I'm not posting this to brag on myself, but to brag on him. He could have gone on using the program and not said anything.
Most people that call will say thanks towards the end of the call, and I believe that this guy did on his previous call. He still had some of the process to go through after that call, and he could have not called back just to say thanks. But he did.

This illustrates how often we don't take time to appreciate the good things we take for granted. Also, we often don't take time to express our appreciation to others. We may say "Thank you," to someone who holds open a door, or to the clerk that waits on us at the convenience store, but are we just being polite, or do we recognize the value of what they did? Something to think about...

Oh, and if you live in California and you know a guy named Ron Holt who uses AutoCAD 2004, treat him like a special person, because he is!

No comments: