Monday, October 15, 2007

Some Thoughts About Work

I had a busy day today. I took 9 cases. Some cases required more than one call, several required sending e-mails. I struggled through most of the day because of an addiction I have. Yes, I am about to reveal a deep, dark secret.

I am addicted to Stargate SG-1. I don't have cable, so I don't see any first run episodes until they are shown on the air in Tulsa. The local station that carries Stargate SG-1 doesn't show it until 1 AM Sunday nights. So, most of the day I was dragging a bit, even at my best.

I get paid by the case. Some days I don't make much, some days I do fairly good. Today was one of my better days. The annoying thing is that most of the calls came in the afternoon, after my paycheck arrived, and they kept preventing me from leaving to go to the bank. I have to walk to the bank, and I didn't get there until well after the lobby closed. Even though I was on foot, I used the drive-thru. The teller is familiar with me, so she was willing to serve me.

On busy days like this, I do have to remind myself of my philosophy of work. Work is worthwhile. Nothing happens in this world without it. Work has given this country the highest standard of living anyone in the world has ever known. I do not work just to get a paycheck, but to earn a paycheck. Anyone who takes that attitude will eventually succeed.
Too many people see their jobs as just a function they perform. Every job exists to solve a problem. If you approach your job that way, you will see the value in it. One of the greatest feelings in the world is to solve a problem, to finish a task, to do a job well.

Having said that, I also see the value of rest and recreation. So I will end this post with this:

A deputy was patrolling the backroads near the county seat when he comes across a farmer and a sheep walking towards town. He pulls over and asks the farmer what is going on. The farmer replies, "I'm taking this sheep to the sale barn to get the money to buy the part I need to fix my truck." The deputy informs the farmer that the sale barn is closed that day because the owner is sick, but it should be open the next day.
The farmer says with a sigh, "I guess I'll just go tomorrow," and turns back the other way with the sheep following him. He doesn't go but a few steps when the deputy says, "I'm sorry, sir, but I must give you a ticket."
"Why? What did I do wrong?" the farmer reacts in disbelief. "Well, sir," the deputy replies, "you did make a ewe turn!"

No comments: